101 Tips for Parents - Preventing and Dealing with Bullying
As parents, one of our greatest fears is that our children will be bullied (or perhaps that they may become a bully themselves!). We know that the majority of schools are working hard to prevent bullying, and deal with it well when it happens (through National Anti-Bullying week, Personal, Social and Health education (PSHE) and the Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL)). However it is often difficult to know what we can do as parents to keep our children safe from bullying. or what to do and how to advise them for the best if it happens.
So, how can we help? What can we do? What should we be advising our children to do? This comprehensive, invaluable parent guide (written by an Educational Psychologist and mother of four, now grown up, children) answers these questions and many more in a down-to-earth, practical manner, offering tried and tested tips and advice that will enable you to work with the school to make a real difference to your child’s life. It includes:
- What bullying is and how it feels, as a victim and as a parent
- What schools are doing and why they don’t just get rid of bullies!
- How you can keep your child safe from bullying
- How to tell if your child is being bullied – getting your child to talk to you
- What to do if your child is being bullied – practical strategies for you and them!
- What to do if you know bullying is going on in the school and why witnesses often don’t tell
- What to do if your child is bullying others (and why people bully)
- Keeping safe from cyber-bullying
Written by Julie Casey and published by Futurelink Publishing