How does the school know if my child needs extra help?

How do I know if my child needs extra help?

  • If your child is transferring to Barnhill Community High and already has special educational needs, your primary school will inform the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Department at Barnhill.
  • There is planning between the schools and with parents/carers in Year 6 to support the student’s move from primary to secondary school.
  • On entry to the school, all students are screened on key cognitive skills, language skills and certain core academic skills. This system can pick up potential difficulties or areas of excellence at the earliest stage.
  • Some children do well at primary school but find the transition to secondary education more difficult. At Barnhill Community High, Year 7 students are closely monitored and any concerns are reported to the SEN Department or the Pastoral Team so that support can be coordinated promptly.
  • Parents are always welcome to contact Barnhill Community High to discuss any concerns they may have regarding their child.