Speech, Language and Social Communication
My child has difficulties with Communication and Interaction.
This can include:
- Understanding language.
- Using language.
- Understanding how to communicate socially with other people.
- Conditions include: Specific Language Disorder, ASD/ASC (Autism), Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorders/delay.
- Stammering – advice given to families about how to access support from outside agencies.
What can Barnhill Community High offer?
Support for targeted groups or individual support of students may include
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEND practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- Access to homework support club
- Reading Intervention Programme.
- Access to assessment for identification of significant needs.
- Small group/individual sessions run by teaching assistants who have been trained by the Speech and Language Therapist.
- Pre and post Module skills assessment and results in the form of a written report from the Speech Therapist.
- Post module feedback to student, parents and staff.
- In-class Teaching Assistant support in some lessons.
- 1:1 session with a speech and language therapist.
- Annual Review meeting for students with an EHCP or statement.
- Exam access arrangements.
- Transition support between Key Stages.
- Post-16 transition support.